Fresh off the Boat a memoir by Eddie Huang.
Fresh off the boat is a funny memoir about an American kid, Eddie Huang that really feels like he’s Chinese. Eddie’s parents are very traditional Chinese and the food that they eat is very different from the food that the other kids around Eddie eat. For example, once Eddie sat at a table with some kids and when he opened his lunchbox everybody thought what he was eating was disgusting. What the food really represents is how people think of Eddie as a minority even though he’s American.
The way Eddie talks about food, you can tell he loves it, enjoys it and wants to eat it. He writes down each piece of food he eats and he talks about what he loves about it and how he can make it better and then he tries to cook it at home. The part I did not like about this book is that it made me super hungry. However Eddie Huang really made think more about what I eat every day. Not in a health stance but by connecting the food to its roots.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has a deep interest in food and also likes a comedic read. P.S. This book is not like the show. I watched an episode and it was totally different.
No comments:
Post a Comment