Friday, September 2, 2016

The Color of Water by James McBride

           This summer I read the book The Color of Water by James McBride.  The Color of Water is about James McBride, a black man who grew up with a Jewish mother and his other 11 siblings in the Red Hook Projects. The book describes his many questions and experiences growing up not knowing his mother's true ethnicity.  As a child, he was embarrassed when seen with her because no one could imagine her being his mother by looking at him.
           This book alternates from the perspective of the author to the perspective of his mom, explaining how she grew up with her orthodox family, including her abusive father.  The book also spends lots of time talking about Christianity and God.  Despite being raised in a very orthodox family, once she meets her husband and her mom dies, she converts and becomes a very religious Baptist.

           This book connects to my family life as I have cousins who are half Black, half Jewish, who deal with confusing identity with religion and race.  One of my cousins even made a documentary about growing up as a mixed child.  Although I don't struggle with the same identity issues yet, I am half Jewish and half Salvadoran, but looking at me you would never guess I was half Latina because I have very light skin.  
           I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys memoirs or anyone who enjoys books that deal with identity issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment